Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: “Is this real, or is this just a ride?” And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say: “Hey, don’t worry, don’t be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride.” … and we kill those people.Bill Hicks
3rd place inthe Crumplbangers Discord ‘reverse’ challenge which was a hard one – use a reversed instrumental or acapella in a mashup. Not many things sound good reversed, and beats were a tricky issue…it was hard to get something listenable beyond 30 seconds of reversing, the novelty wears off fast.
I’ve always wanted to work with musical palindromes (music that plays the same backwards as well as forward) and although most of them are classical pieces, there are a few modern tracks like Boards of Canada’s Music Is Math from Geogaddi (an album full of Satanic Reverses – spooky reverse/backmasking songs – interestingly this doesn’t seem to have any). It’s like a mirror song, you can see it in the waveform, part backwards, part forwards.
So following the mirror theme, I looked for tracks that reference beginning and ends, Smashing Pumpkins and NIN didn’t work, but a new track by Crosses did. I knew nothing about Crosses til I found it, it’s the side project of Chino Moreno of the Deftones. And it’s a cover of Cause & Effect.
I also then found the Black Sabbath track, which together give it a doomier feel and something of a paean to the planet and it’s destruction and return to the ‘new normal’ as we come out of lockdown.
Is it the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end? We need to repair the system, as Ozzy says…again a personal mashup from me about the status quo.
Part of a series called ‘let’s make the life hard of those who finished their festive mashup compilations in October’, – finally live, the Xmash compilation new and old Christmas Classics in ‘high’ quality – well we are in part talking DJNoNo here so quality is extremely subjective – but two new mashups from me, including one that has only just been finished and not previously released – the Massive Attack vs Greg Lake one.
Yes I made Massive Attack’s Teardrop simultaneously upbeat and festive and more depressing…how strange the change from major to minor. It is very much a Lockdown Xmas Coronacoaster bittersweet track…
Some old classics and two new mashups now in high quality in a single downloadable package! From bah humbug mashups and downtempo chilled dubby ambient mixes to upbeat drum and bass and party tunes, to a set of covers by TBC Poundsystem – and there even is a Secret Santa gift if you download the whole album!
Have a Happy Christmas and New Year in lockdown, and be as safe as possible…it is going to be a weird one, and this one goes out to those who have a love/hate thing with this time of year. I see you – and even better I have warped festive tunes for you!
Download the Xmas EP over at Bandcamp or over at the Bootleg Archive.
- DJNoNo – Christmas Wapping (Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion vs The Waitresses – 2020)
- TBC Poundsystem – Losing My Sledge (Michael Jackson vs Andrews Sisters & Bing Crosby vs LCD Soundsystem vs Lipps Inc – 2012)
- DJNoNo – Scarey Xmas (Mariah Carey, Dillinja and Unknown Error – 2008)
- DJNoNo – 12 Vaulting Hippos (Pendulum vs Gayle Peevey 2005)
- DJNoNo – BlacKmas Dub (Poly Styrene vs Stenchman vs Invader Zim 2011)
- TBC Poundsystem – Losing My Sledge original (2005)
- DJNoNo – Christmas Maus (Deadmau5 vs Bruce Haack 2012)
- tbc aka Instamatic – Massive Lake (Teardrops At Xmas) (Massive Attack vs Greg Lake – 2020)
- TBC Poundsystem – Losing My Sledge Dub (Michael Jackson vs Andrews Sisters & Bing Crosby vs LCD Soundsystem vs Lipps Inc –
And I have uploaded the first Kodiak Moment to Bandcamp, which oddly I never added here til now, although I posted the ‘Greatest Misses’ with the same artwork, confusingly!
- DJNoNo – Just Lose The Accordion (Eminem vs Myron Floren)
- Instamatic – Ludakriss (Kriss Kross vs Ludacris)
- Instamatic – Push It Slut (Avenue D vs Salt n’ Pepa)
- Instamatic – Ghetto Peaches (Solcofn partial reboot – Peaches vs Outkast vs Scissor Sisters)
- DJNoNo – Em Is A Nagging Fly (Crossover vs Eminem vs Roy Orbison)
- Instamatic – Satan Bush Blair (Bootie Version – Orbital vs Freeland vs Eric Idle vs George Bush)
- tbc aka Instamatic – Comfortable Run (Scissor Sisters vs Air)
- Instamatic – Spanish Bombs (The Clash vs Outkast off London Booted)
- Instamatic – Stone Cold Roses (Outkast vs Stone Roses)
- Instamatic – GodLife (Blur vs Beach Boys from Parkspliced)
- Instamatic – Triple Spin (Dead or Alive vs Marilyn Manson vs Hi-Tek 3)
- Instamatic -Smells Mighty Real (Sylvester vs Sandra Bernhard vs Nirvana – Short version)
- Allen Smithee – Right Profile (The Clash vs The Streets – from London Booted)
- Instamatic -Kylie’s Ass Is A Space Ship (Kylie vs N.E.R.D. vs Super Furry Animals)
- tbc aka Instamatic – Long Gone (Super Furry Animals vs Beach Boys)
- tbc aka Instamatic – (My True Love Has a) Golden Beard (Blur vs Nina Simone vs Slowdive – off Parkspliced)
- tbc aka Instamatic – (Whitney Goes To Hollywood Frankie Goes To Hollywood vs Whitney Houston)
A mashup that came out of my long-running remix of The Clash’s ‘Lost In The Supermarket'(more of that soon) 2 years ago, this is a very ambient chilled mashup using Beach House’s Myth…just finished it, and I think it works really well.