Again, a personal mashup about alienation, state of the world….and mental health.
Created for the Spoken Word challenge at Crumplbangers Discord, probably the first and only Nils Frahm mashup in existence?
This almost became a Captain Obvious track, because to me, the new one from Lil Nas X – Sun Goes Down is basically Wonderwall by Oasis? It was either this or the Verve’s Lucky Man, there’s a real Britpop vibe with this song about struggling as a queer teen in the closet – I can totally relate. Maybe because when I was a struggling queer teen, Britpop was my soundrack.
This is a real lighter in the air track! I made it with the first night of clubbing in mind in June….as a sort of drunken ‘everyone come together’ closer. And also a first – I have never done a Wonderwall mashup in nearly 20 years. Came together really quickly because I suspect someone will do it very shortly…like other Lil Nas X tracks I put it out there and just hope it’s in key 😛 I think this one is….
Thanks to IamJstncrdble for the acapella.
And appropriately for the 4th of May, here’s the 4th volume of my best-of series ‘Kodiak Moment’ taking us up to the modern day – 2012-2020. Includes tracks from my last retirement which lasted a lot longer than this one, and even includes a Star Wars mashup as well (Star Wars Gurlz from 2015).
We even have three mashups from what I call ‘How To Mash In An Apocalypse’ series, about the lockdown and pandemic – and the first track that lead into the Black Block album.
For the first time we have the few of my viral hits in lossless quality and remastered – ‘Her Breath Is The Wind’ and the Captain Obvious swansong ‘Madonna Has A Kiki’ which still crops up in the oddest places still (a dance class video was my favourite). Most bar the newer tracks have been remastered, and there are three bonus tracks.
- Captain Obvious – Madonna Has A Kiki (Madonna vs Scissor Sisters) – 2012
- Instamatic – Let Me Go Sunshine (Heaven 17 vs Rockers Revenge vs The Clash) – 2012
- Instamatic – Wedding Hounds (Futureheads vs Billy Idol) – 2012
- tbc aka Instamatic – Her Breath Is The Wind (Rhiannon’s Breath) (Sia vs Fleetwood Mac) – 2012
- tbc aka Instamatic – the Golden Mirror (Elbow vs Fleetwood Mac) – 2012
- Instamatic – Push Groove (Dee-Lite vs Salt n’ Pepa) – 2013
- Instamatic – Impact Mode (Depeche Mode vs Presets) – 2009 finished 2014
- Instamatic – Still Haven’t Found It (Negativland vs String Quartet 2014 version)
- Instamatic – Star Wars Gurls (Katy Perry vs Meco) – 2010, finished 2015
- Instamatic – Lost At The Beach (The Clash vs Beach House) – 2015
- Instamatic – Dark Dreams (Fleetwood Mac vs Sparklehorse and Dangermouse) – 2015
- Instamatic – TV Nation (Daft Punk vs Spearhead vs Montrose) – 2016
- Instamatic – Liability Shade (Lorde vs Procol Harum) – 2019
- Instamatic – Wish I Could Wake In September (COVID-19 Mashup – Pink Floyd vs Green Day vs Richard Hendrick) – 2020
- Instamatic – Wish I Could Wake In September (COVID-19 Mashup – Pink Floyd vs Green Day – demo) – 2020
- Instamatic – Ghost Rats (B. Dolan vs Ghost vs Zeropoint) – 2020
- Instamatic – Daft Punk Everywhere (Daft Punk vs Fleetwood Mac) – 2020
- tbc aka Instamatic – Spiralling (Every Circle In It’s Right Place) (Post Malone vs Radiohead) – 2020
I did this mashup of Daft Punk – Digital Love vs Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere back in November, and hung onto to it although it got debuted on the Radio Clash podcast. But now Daft Punk are no more it seemed the right time to release it in their honour. Salute!
P.S. this isn’t the only Everywhere mashup I am working on…or indeed the only FM mashup generally. Depends how many work but was thinking of working on an album or EP of them.
I know what Santa likes, and he likes Mash!
There’s been a long time since a DJNoNo tune and since it seems EVERY tune has been WAPped – I hate WAP, it is the Crazy Frog of 2020 but DJNoNo loves that stuff. So I was surprised to not find this one, Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion -WAP vs Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses inb4 everyone!
Oh and do I really have to say that WAP is extremely NSFW/dirty? TikTok this kids! I’m too old for that shit…
And a Christmas tune to boot, he hasn’t done one of those for many years. Nine years at least.
I am working on new mashups, this is a quick and dirty one, but there are at least 2-3 in progress. The beast awakes!
UPDATED VERSION – Please delete all previous versions, they ruin Christmas.
Image by Denys Gromov, CC Zero/Pexels.
And now a video – of sorts, for those on r/mashups to lazy to click a link! Let’s see how long it stays up there…
TV Nation is a mashup that has been hanging around in multiple demo forms since 2008, now thanks to better stems and acapellas it’s finished (I know I said I retired but this was an opportunity too good to miss, always wanted this to work – also always wanted to do a good Daft Punk mashup). It’s Daft Punk – Television Rules The Nation vs Spearhead’s Rock The Nation vs Montrose – Rock The Nation and a few bits from the Beatnigs / Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcrisy – Television Drug of the Nation.
And it’s oddly topical now, with Donald Trump and the presidential elections coming up, the lines about media manipulation and fat tycoons, people staying in their bubble and not wanting to step out of it. Sadly still very current.
Thanks go out to DJ Schmolli, Ian Fondue, Jez Celebrity Murder Party and Lee Spoons for their advice and help.
This is fer all yer Polka-heads out thurr. Nu recruit 2 da Polka Cru is DJ Kool Herc. He’s startz a nu trend – polka-breaking, nah not breaking the accordion, tha’s silly, but spinning on ‘is head in lederhosen, while we spin da polka breakz.
We like 2 leave ‘im 2 his little fetishes, ‘he’s ‘armless, but it takes all sorts I ‘spose….?
So dis is DJ Kool Herc ‘B-Boy Boogie’ vs Lawrence Welk ‘Accordion Man’. Well smart!